Thursday, March 26, 2009
Wednesday, March 25, 2009
Basically, to master Silat Seni Gayong, practitioners must learn at least 4 out of seven stages of Silat. They are as follows:
1. Tapak Gayong (Foundation of Silat Seni Gayong - practitioners will study all techniques of self defence and offence using all parts of human body especially hand, leg, elbow, knee. No weapons are taught in this stage. Practitioners learn to use their bare hand as their weapon).
2. Seni Tapak Gayong (This is an advanced form of the foundation. Practitioners will study in depth about the possible development of free-hand techniques in the Silat Seni Gayong).
3. Seni Keris (Learning how to apply defensive or offensive techniques using Malay dagger and other small sized weapons such as Kerambit, knife, tekpi)
4. Seni Simbat (In this stage, practitioner learns how to apply defensive or offensive techniques using long weapons including spear, long stick, and parang).
5. Seni Yoi (Aerobic techniques that are applied to defeat stronger or bigger opponent. Silat practitioner will apply brilliant traps to ensnare their foes. Its approach is a cross breed between aikido and judo).
6. Seni Cindai (This technique applies ordinary clothes like kain sarung, belt, and tudung as weapons to defeat the opponent).
7. Seni Belian (Spiritual aspect of Silat Seni Gayong. Only Muslim practitioners who managed to achieve high level of discipline and dedication to Silat Seni Gayong have the opportunity to learn this technique - normally senior instructors and future leaders of silat organizations).